May 3, 2010
Washington, DC – Following the failed car bomb attempt Saturday in New York City, Nevada Senator Harry Reid today made the following statement on the need to continue providing the necessary resources for Nevada’s first responders and military personnel.
“Saturday’s failed car bombing in Times Square serves as a reminder that while numerous steps have been taken to improve the security of major cities like New York and Las Vegas, we all play a role in keeping our country safe. Regardless of whether the intent to do harm is generated on hostile soil or in our own backyard, any attempted attack on the American people should be met with firm resolve and swift justice. I will continue working with state and national security leaders to ensure Nevada has every resource it needs to keep its residents and visitors safe.”
Sen. Reid has worked hard to ensure Nevada has the necessary resources to protect Nevadans and the millions of tourists who visit our state every year.
SUPPORTING NEVADA’S FIRST RESPONDERS
· Since 2000, Reid has secured more than $100 million for Nevada’s Police, Firefighters and local emergency personnel.
· Reid successfully petitioned then-Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff about putting Las Vegas back on the funding list of high-threat cities to help prepare for disasters or terrorist attacks.
· Reid secured funding to create the Southern Nevada Counter-Terrorism Fusion Center.
· Reid secured funding to create an Emergency Operations Center in Las Vegas.
· Reid supported the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Program to help local law enforcement agencies in Nevada hire additional officers.
DELIVERING FOR NEVADA’S MILITARY
· Reid has delivered hundreds of millions of dollars for improvements and construction projects at Nevada’s military installations.
· During the latest Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) process, Reid fought to keep Nevada’s military bases off the list, ensuring Nevada’s safety and protecting thousands of jobs.
· Reid has consistently worked to secure funding to provide our troops with the protection and tools they need to prepare for and succeed on the battlefield.
· Reid has voted repeatedly to increase pay and expand benefits for servicemen and women.