The Senate Democratic Diversity Initiative is a resource to assist offices with identifying and hiring a more diverse workforce. In addition, it helps those who want to work on the Hill with understanding and navigating the job search process. Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid started the Initiative several years ago to develop a Senate workforce that reflects the diversity of our nation and is demographically representational of the constituents we serve. Our concept of diversity and inclusion embraces differences in race and ethnicity, religion, disability and sexual orientation as well as recognizes the military service of our veterans.
Telephone: (202) 228-1029
In order to accomplish the goal of a more diverse and inclusive workforce the Diversity Initiative:
- Maintains a database of candidates for positions at all levels
- Provides qualitative assistance to job seekers that includes a writing test, resume review and informational interview
- Assists in identifying opportunities and placement of interns and fellows in partnership with national diversity internship programs
- Aids offices in building diverse networks with educational institutions, outside organizations, and other potential partners to recruit diverse interns and job candidates.
- Presents to outside groups and organizations about working on Capitol Hill
- Provides professional development guidance to job candidates and Hill staffers.
To submit your resume for consideration by the Senate Democratic Diversity Initiative, please click here:
To learn more about career opportunities at the United States Senate or United States House of Representatives, please visit the following links: