There are several programs that provide help to Nevadans preparing their income tax return. If your annual adjusted growth income is $57,000 or less you may qualify for the IRS Free File program which helps in preparing and filing your return electronically. And if your income is $51,000 or less, or if you are over the age of 60, you may qualify for free tax assistance through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program or the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program.

IRS Free File

tax formsTo help taxpayers prepare and file their income tax returns electronically, the Internal Revenue Service, in partnership with the Free File Alliance, developed the Free File program. The Free File Program is a free, federal income tax preparation and electronic filing program. Generally, taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Incomes of $57,000 or less are eligible for the program, but each company providing tax preparation software sets its own eligibility requirements. You can get more information on this program at

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)

If your annual income is $51,000 or less, you may qualify for assistance through the Nevada VITA Program. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.

You should contact the site closest to you to determine if you are eligible for their service. Because VITA sites in Nevada can often change hours and locations, call 1-800-906-9887 for current information on the site nearest you. You can also check this partial VITA site list online, but please know that this list does not include every VITA site.

Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) – AARP Tax-Aide Program

If you are 60 or older, you may also qualify for assistance filing your income taxes through the AARP Tax-Aide sites throughout Nevada. The volunteers there are trained to do more complex tax returns. You should contact the AARP Tax-Aide site closest to you to determine if you are eligible for their service.

To locate an AARP Tax-Aide site near you, please visit AARP’s website.

Items taxpayers need to bring to the VITA/TCE Sites to have their tax returns prepared:

  • Proof of identification
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Birth Dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Current year’s tax package if you received one
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
  • Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
  • Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • If applicable, proof of foreign status if applying for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) or a copy of your ITIN assignment letter for you, your spouse, and dependents.

Taxpayer Advocate Service

The IRS has a Taxpayer Advocate Service that offers free, independent, and confidential tax assistance to taxpayers unable to resolve their tax problems through normal channels or individuals experiencing a hardship. The service helps individual and business taxpayers resolve problems with the IRS. Visit their website for more information or call (877) 777-4778 or (702) 868-5179.

Tax Casework

If you have specific questions about your tax obligations, I would encourage you to reference the IRS website for publications and other information. If you would like to contact your local IRS office, you may do so at:

Las Vegas                                                Reno
110 City Parkway                                    200 S. Virginia St.
Las Vegas, NV 89106                            Reno, NV 89501
(702) 868-5005                                    (775) 824-2218

If you need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact one of my offices. My staff and I stand ready to assist you.